Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Recycled Duvet Cover Makes a Super Utility Quilt


      Last year I wanted to make myself a utility quilt for the car/beach but I didn't want to take the time to piece a top with nice fabric.  I wanted to experiment.  I was thinking about using some used twin sheets to make my quilt, so I went on ebay and found this twin duvet cover.  I can't remember what I paid for the duvet cover, I think it was about $18.00.  I washed the cover and I stuffed a twin Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 batt in it and pin basted it.  There is space on the edges of the long ends where the batt did not quite fill the cover completely and I probably could have pieced some of the extra batting from the short end to fill that in, but I didn't want to fuss with it.  I did straight line quilting on it diagonally with my walking foot on my domestic machine.  After I finished quilting it, I folded in the open end of the cover and top stitched that closed.  One of the best parts of this project was that I did not need to bind the finished quilt.  This quilt is super heavy and really useful.

    I love the madras plaid fabric (it looks like it was pieced by a quilter) on the top.  The bottom is the blue strip.