Pages

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014, The Year Of The Sun (Hat)

    A lot of crafty blogs are doing the year in review.  I have only one favorite project that I want to show you.  It's the sun hat I made from a pattern I bought from Winnie and Clem on etsy.  This hat has everything, a nice wide brim to cover your face, ears, and neck from the sun and a pony tail opening.  I was looking for all these features from a ready to wear hat when I found this pattern during my internet search.  It was perfect.  I wasn't sure if I could make a hat, but I was willing to try.   Here is the link to the pattern.

    This is an electronic pattern and it is delivered electronically in .pdf format.  I had one minor glitch when printing my pattern and pattern pieces.  My 8.5" x 11" paper was not big enough and I lost the points to the back brim pieces.  I drew them and taped them on.  Fixed.

    This hat is also reversible, but I could not decide on coordinating fabrics, so all my hats (yes, I made three of these for myself) have the same fabric on both sides.  I used stash fabric and interfacing and all I had to do was buy some magnetic snaps.  These were fun to make.  My daughter even got in on the action and I taught her how to sew her own hat.  She loves her hat.

   Here is one of my hats close-up.

 


     I'm wearing one on the pier at Panama City Beach, FL.


     This was my favorite and most useful finish in 2014.