Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Scrappy String Block Process Photos And Foundation Research

    So I spent the morning making scrappy string blocks and I took some pictures of my process because these are so easy and fun to sew.

    I place my center white strip right side up on the paper towel diagonally, I don't use glue or pins.  I lay my first scrap strip right side down on top of the white with the edges lined up.  I sew along the right edge using the presser foot to measure my seam, approximately a 1/4".  I press the fabric open, and place another scrap piece right side down on top of the last strip sewn and I sew up the right edge, press open, repeat, until the entire paper towel is covered.  I usually work on one side until it's covered then I flip the paper towel and sew strips on the other side.



    After I sew up a few blocks, I trim off the edges and square each block to 10".





    I now have 29 blocks sewn up, I have to make 20 more.  Forty-nine blocks will give me a top that is 7 blocks x 7 rows and measure 66.5" square.  The perfect size for quilting this on my domestic sewing machine.

     I did a bunch of research on what to use as my foundation and I'm using a full size paper towel because I want 10" blocks and these full size paper towels measure 10.4" x 11".  The price is right as well, I got two rolls with 96 sheets each for about $3.50 at Walmart, that's 192 blocks which are enough blocks for 3.91 quilt tops with 49 blocks each.  I got the idea to use paper towels from my former mother-in-law who made string block quilts for her grandchildren and used paper towels as foundation.  Thank you, Mama.

    I also looked at children's doodle pads a/k/a newsprint paper (the sheets were too small, 9" x 12", a pad of 100 sheets about $2.00) or a roll of newsprint 18" x 300' (too much paper waste for 10" square blocks and the cost for the roll is $16.15 on Amazon).  I also thought about using muslin but I would have to spend almost $20.00 for the fabric and still have to cut it to 10" blocks.  I don't have to cut the paper towel before I sew on it.  It's already a great size to trim down.

 One Final Note On The New Ironing Board Cover

       I almost forget to add some new padding to the ironing board when I put the new cover on it last week.  The old padding was flat.  The other day I added two layers of cotton batting and placed it on top of the old cover (I kept the old cover and the old padding under the new cover) using a crib size Warm and Natural cotton batt  ($8.00).  My ironing board has lots of cushion now and the cats enjoy using it as a napping spot when I'm not pressing my quilt blocks.


No comments: