Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

I Made A Serger Cover

    I needed a nice cloth cover for my serger. The serger came with one of those plastic covers but I don't like plastic on plastic.  I wanted to have something so I wouldn't have to unthread the machine or take off the overhead thread guide.  So I designed my own take on a very simple serger cover.

   The front


The back




     I sewed this up in about 3 hours.  It was easy to make and I loved that I got just exactly what I needed.  Here's how I did it.  I took a rectangle of fabric about 20" x WOF and hemmed up the two long sides and one short side.  The unhemmed short side would be the back.  I cut a slit up the back for the thread guide rod to slide in.   I hemmed up the slit to the curved U part at the top and covered that portion with binding, it's not pretty, but it works.  I fit the cover on the machine and hemmed the last side so it wasn't too long.  Then I made six ties (they took the longest to make because I only cut the fabric 1 1/4" wide and they were fiddly to get folded and sewn up, but they look great because they are so thin).  The ties are a little two long, but I didn't want to take the time to make the perfect length so I left them at WOF and just cut the selvedges off.  The sides and the back are secured with the ties.  I love the cover.  It's pretty and functional.

No comments: