Pages

Friday, July 1, 2016

Tea Dyeing Doilies

   I made a couple of small doilies from this pattern which also comes with a lovely comprehensive video of how to make the entire doily that you can view on youtube.  The pattern is free and so is the video.

   I made two of these over the last couple of days.  It took me about 1.5 hours to finish each one, it's quicker for me to crochet if I just read the pattern, watching the video seems to take me longer.

 

   I crocheted these in white size 10 crochet cotton thread and I used a size 0 (3.25mm) steel crochet hook.  The hook was a little too big for the crochet cotton, but I was trying to make the doily a little bigger and I think the larger hook help.

   When I tea dyed them, I steeped 6 tea bags in about 1.5 quarts of boiling water in a large Pyrex mixing bowl in my kitchen sink.  I left the tea bags in the water for about 20 minutes.  I took the tea bags out of the water and put my doilies in and let them sit for 1 hour 20 minutes.  You are supposed to wet your item before you put it in the tea bath, but I forget to do that.

   This is my result.  They are a lovely beige/ecru color and I don't think I could ever find thread in this particular colorway so I'm very happy with these doilies.

 

No comments: