Pages

Friday, July 15, 2016

My First And Last Hand Sewn Quilt Is Finished.

   The Scrappy Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt is now finished.

    I did very big stitch quilting around the yellow centers and the beige hexies so it would go faster.

   I hand sewed hexies to the uneven sides to bind those edges.  Today I applied the binding on the straight sides with the sewing machine.  It felt really weird to use the sewing machine after spending so many months hand sewing all those little hexies.  I love this quilt and I'm so glad it's finished.



      I'm so happy I will be able to use my sewing machine to make my next couple of projects.

      I bought fabric to make myself a flannel rag quilt for Christmas.  I want to start it next week.  It's going to be made with a lovely red plaid flannel for Christmas.  I love plaid fabric.

      I'll be using the red plaid for the top.  I will use the blue flannel for the middle and backing fabric.  I bought 3 yards of the red plaid and 6 yards of the blue flannel.

     I will cut all the fabric into 10" squares.  I will need 108 of them to make a 6 block x 6 row quilt.  The blocks will be assembled with the red on top and the middle and bottom layer will be blue.  I made two flannel quilts last year and I really enjoyed the process.  




     Another project I have fabric for is a new cotton nightgown for the winter season.  I bought some red plaid cotton fabric, like the red plaid above, to make this one.  I won't share a picture of this sewing project because I'm not going to take the time to match my plaids at the seams and it will look very wonky.

No comments: