Pages

Sunday, June 11, 2023

Fun With Beads And Wire

   I found a tutorial on how to make a wire wrap dragonfly sun catcher on Youtube on Jesse James Beads channel.  Link is here.  I haven't done a lot of beading except to make simple bead necklaces with multi colored seed beads.  My favorite.  This looked like it was too much fun not to try.  I bought beads (on sale at Joann's) and 20 gauge and 26 gauge silver wire.  The instructions call for a jig to shape the wings, but I shaped my wings without a jig and didn't have any trouble making them.  This sun catcher took me about 4 hours make.

   I bought clear beads, silver glitter beads and some larger white shaded beads to use for the head/tail.  I changed my mind about the large white beads for the head/tail and wanted a green bead instead. I was thinking about buying more beads when coloring the white bead was all I could think about.  Instead of painting the bead (so messy), I pulled out my Sharpie magic markers and found a greenish blue that wasn't dried up and just colored the white bead with it.  Love the look of the custom bead.  I did add a hanging wire to this after I too this picture that I attached to the top of the left and right wing.  You can always hang it directly from a wing for a wonky look.

   Here is the suncatcher I made for dear daughter.






No comments: