Pages

Saturday, May 15, 2021

My Patriotic Finishes and Making Vinyl Project Bags for Cross Stitch Kits

 I finished the two patriotic wall hangings I made for dear daughter and my self.  They are identical.  I put hanging triangles on the back and included a dowel stick with dear daughter's because she likes to hang everything.  



   I pulled fabric from my stash to make vinyl project bags for my cross stitch projects that I want to start.  I figured if I kitted the cross stitch charts with fabric and threads it would be easier to start stitching them. 

    I used the tutorial here by Erica Arndt.  She does a pretty good job walking you through the steps.  I liked this tutorial because the lining and back are quilted.  Lots of tutorials don't quilt that part. 

   I made my bag about 15" square.  I just increased the size of the individual pieces of fabric by the appropriate amount and used a longer zipper.  I did find the process of putting the binding on very fussy.  I can fix that.  I will make the next one with a back that is about 1.25" inches larger all around and then I can self bind with the excess fabric.  So easy. 

     This is the first project bag I made. 





 I didn't have any black thread so I used a bright green.  Not as pretty as I wanted it to be.  I love the shamrock fabric.  I had trouble with the vinyl sticking to my machine extension table, but I can fix that too by taking that off and putting the regular machine extension on.  

  She also had a tutorial for a mini vinyl bag (great for scissors and extra needles and threads) that you can make in coordinating fabric (which I did) that tutorial is here.    Once again, I found the binding to be the biggest obstacle, but I can avoid that problem with a larger piece of fabric on the back and doing a self binding on it.  

No comments: