Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2022

Christmas Decoration and Luggage Strap

       I had to make another block from the Lori Holt Vintage Christmas book of quilt blocks and my daughter picked out the train engine.  It was fun to make.  I used scraps from my fabric stash (including the embroidery floss) so all this cost me was time.  I had the cutting and the sewing done in about four hours, which included the embroidery of the smoke (I made two of them identical).  It took me another 2.5 hours to sandwich, quilt, and bind them.  I put hanging triangles on the back to slip a dowel stick in so we can hang them on the wall.


      I thought a custom luggage strap for my carryon would be the perfect accessory so I can identify my luggage readily.  Of course I made an identical one for dear daughter.  I used approx. 57 inches of 4.5 inch cotton fabric and added the 2" parachute buckle to the ends.  Each buckle cost $7.79 and the fabric for both cost about $3.00.  Easy to make.  Each strap took about an hour to make.



    Note on the luggage strap.  After I made both straps dear daughter suggested that I machine embroider names on them.  I agreed that would be awesome and was disappointed that I hadn't thought of that before I even made them.  So we each picked our special names, I set up the machine and did them in bright red.  The embroidery came out very nicely but would have been done better before I put the strap together.  I didn't get a picture of the embroidery, but it took about an hour to do both on the machine including the machine set up and it cost me nothing but time since I had the thread and  stabilizer already on hand.  




No comments: