Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2021

Crocheted Christmas Tree Garland

 I was watching tutorials on how to make air dry clay ornaments last December and thought how wonderful it would be to have a beautiful white lacey garland on the tree to accent the white air dry clay ornaments.  A garland that would last for years and years.   I don't put up a Christmas tree but my daughter does and she could use a pretty homemade garland.

I ordered 10 balls of No. 3 white crochet thread (not enough to finish this project but enough to make more than half) to make the garland.  

I did some math, created a pattern and started crocheting.  In the end I will make 4 strands of 80 feet of garland which will be more than enough for a 7 foot tree.  Figure 10 feet of garland for each foot of tree. 




 The garland is pretty by itself but it's awesome when it's twisted with three more strands. 



My math went like this:  I need 4 strands of 80 feet of garland, that's a total of 320 feet.  I am crocheting it in 2 foot segments so I need 160 pieces of garland.  I can get 11 strands from one ball of no. 3 crochet thread using a size D/3.25mm hook.  I will need a total of 15 balls to make the entire 320 feet.   

My pattern is three simple rows including the chain row.  I make 81 chains, I single crochet in the second chain from hook and across for 80 single crochets.  At the end I chain three turn my work and make 4 double crochet in first sc to make a shell, *single crochet in next three stitches, then make 5 dc in next stitch, continue from * across.  I don't worry if the end of this row works out perfectly.  You will never be able to tell once the piece is added to all the other pieces.  

I will sew 40 of these 2 foot pieces together for one strand of the garland.  

No comments: