Pages

Friday, February 5, 2021

Clothes Line Rope Bowls

I bought more cotton clothes line to make rope bowls.  I've been wanting to make more of these since I made the other bowls back in December.

I bought cotton clothesline from Amazon, it was Household Essentials, 3/16" - 100 feet  in each package.  I paid $6.99 for each package of  clothes line.  I couldn't find cotton clothes line locally, I did try.  I even went to Harbor Freight but they only carried synthetic.



  





 I used the video tutorial here -  Rope Bowl video tutorial.   This tutorial is great to get the basics.   Ms. Patti did a good job explaining the best way to make these bowls.  I watched several videos on this subject and found information on another tutorial that was also very helpful in making my bowls.  The best tip I found was to use an open toe foot (it might be called an embroidery foot) to sew these bowls.  The open toe really makes it easy to see where you are sewing.  

I wrapped the beginning of my rope in muslin to cover the loose threads and I like that a lot.  The muslin disappears in the bottom and it secures the end of the rope.

 I didn't increase my stitch length as much as Crafty Patti does in her tutorial.  I like closer stitches.  This project uses lots of thread and because I didn't lengthen my stitches, I probably used a lot more thread.  I used a full bobbin and a half on each bowl.  

When I wanted to finish my bowl I just moved the end of the rope to the inside of the bowl and stitch over it a few times covering up any loose ends of rope.  I did not use any cellophane tape on my rope.   

I did add little blips of blue fabric throughout the bowl since these are going to DD and that is what she requested.  

Each bowl took about an hour to make (not including time to set up and time to wind several bobbins).   The bowls measures approx. 4 1/2" across the bottom and 3" tall.  Each bowl used about 42 feet of rope.  

I think if you make large rounds or ovals with the rope they would be awesome hot pads in the kitchen or you could make little rounds for coasters.    

This is a fun economical project.  It was extremely easy to sew and the bowls are super useful. 

No comments: