I had to modify the braided ear warmer pattern to simplify it for me. I just couldn't handle some of the fussy parts the designer wrote into her original pattern. I love the strands of half double crochet so I kept those. I ended up making 5 strands of the half double crochet, braiding them and joining the two ends with slip stitches. It worked great. I had the measurement from my original braided ear warmer and I now know how long each strand has to be to fit my head because the original stitch count in the instructions did not work for this yarn and I had to modify it to make it longer.
I used a skein of Knitpicks Chroma Worsted in Mid Winter colorway. I've had this yarn since 2011 (the colorway name has changed to Hollyhock, yuck) and I think this project was perfect for it.
Here is my newest braided ear warmer. Easier for me to make and just as cute. Just to let you know I did try to take a picture of me wearing this but it turned out really bad. I think my head model does a nice job.